Saturday, October 4, 2008

We just finished our third week of CBT and have two more weeks to go. This week we built a garden, cooked with green leaves, visited a nutrition center, and learned about training Health Promoters. Since I am the only advanced speaker in our health group, my Spanish classes are very flexible and all my assignments are applied work in the community. I have been working with a Doctor in the area on a small study on youth in the campo. For this I am conducting focus groups and interviews with teens in our little town. So far it has been really fun and interesting. I have also been working with the same doctor to get more books for the library here, which I believe we have accomplished.

While there have been many cultural adaptation lessons since I have arrived, one in particular stands out. Everday someone here tells me, Kati, estás gorda! Literally, Katie, wow, you are really fat! It is usually someone in my family, my Dona or one of her daughters or grandchildren, but last weekend the neighbor said it too! No one is saying this to be mean nor are they meaning that I am actually fat. What they mean is that since I have been with them I have become healthier or more filled out. They say that when I first arrived that I was just a skinny little thing with sunken in cheeks and now I am prettier and healthier. In fact the fat comment is usually followed by them saying that I am also far prettier than when I first arrived to their campo. Needless to say, despite their good intentions and my understanding that Latinos call people by their physical characteristics, coming from my American culture, this statement just does not sit well with me. Not only was it difficult to find that looking fat is a desirable thing but I also found it a little impossible considering my continued GI adjustment process. After being annoyed and frustrated for a few days I decided that it was time to just laugh about the situation and realize that this is a great example of cultural collision. I really thought that southern mamas liked to fatten people up, but I had no idea. The joy that Dominican Donas get from plumping someone up, or at least telling themselves that they are, is far greater than any southern mama has experienced.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Hey Katie. I finally got to your blog! You better stay away from those roosters. I remember those at the Leroy Massey house would go after us at times!

mike park said...

dude, when i was in peace corps: I came back to site and a lady said that I had become so fat that she couldnt see my eyes. then she proceeded to push my cheeks into the center of face to demonstrate how she couldnt see my eyes because of my "extremely" fat cheeks...

got to love it! good luck chief

karen said...

I SO understand...having grown up with that. I was frequently called "gordita". Not really an easy thing to get over, but sounds like you figured it out quickly! it is all said with love! :-)

Mari and her News said...

Hola Kati,
Me alegro mucho de leer todo lo que has hecho en tus viajes especialmente en tu estadia en Rep. Dominicana. Eres ejemplar y te admiro mucho por tu valor y esfuerzo en ayudar a los que mas lo necesitan. Nunca te olvido. Estuve pensando y orando mucho por ti cuando escuche que iba a pasar un huracan por alli. Tengo mucho que contarte de mi vida y de mi familia pero eso sera en una carta que pienso enviarte por correo. Un abrazo y un beso a la distancia. Que Dios te bendiga!

Marianela