Saturday, October 11, 2008





Second photo is from the beach we have been going to on the weekends, Salinas. This is the salt flats at sunset.

Top pic is for my MCH lovers! This is in my neighbors front yard and its a common site. Pigs and goats and chickens running around are as common as dogs and cats in the backyard.

Thanks so much for all of the Birthday wishes. It is wonderful to know that you all are still thinking about me!!!

This week we have been covering youth sexual health. Peace Corps Dominican Republic uses an integrated life skills approach that covers a range of topics including self esteem, communication, negotiation skills, reproductive organs, STIs, and family planning. The program is called Escojo Mi Vida ( I chose my life).

Though we have not officially received our placements, we all have a good idea of where we are going. My placement, unless something changes, will be in Batey 7 or 9 in the province of Bahoruco. Bahoruco is in the southwest peninsula, the poorest and hottest part of the country. A batey is a community that has been set up around a sugar cane company. They are typically characterized by a larger Haitian population, a higher HIV/AIDS prevalence, greater poverty levels, and a plethora of public health challenges. My project partner or counterpart is World Vision, an international NGO. I am excited about my placement thus far as it presents many opportunities to work with Haitians, learn a little Creole, and get my hands dirty in one of the neediest places in the country. My only concern is that creating my first garden is going to be a bit more challenging in this desert-like climate.

After two weeks of emotional recovery, I am now able to openly say that I had scabies. Though it was awful disgusting, and incredibly terrifying, I can say that it was not as bad as I imagined scabies would be. Needless to say, I beg all to pray that it does not return! My poor Dona was mortified. Literally, she was more upset and distressed than I was. I have no clue as to how I got it. Though the families I have lived with are very poor by most of our standards, it does not mean they are dirty. My Dona cleans more than I would EVER think of cleaning my own home. It’s crazy! It is like the equivalent of spring cleaning twice a week.

New developments:

I have become a professional mosquito killer.

As I walk down the street instead of hearing hissing noises and “Americana!”, I now hear “Hola Kati”. This is incredibly gratifying and warming to my soul!

We have two new volunteers with us who transferred from Bolivia. One of them is also from North Carolina and will be placed very close to my site. I am excited to get to work with her and we are happy to have new members on our shrunken, but still strong, team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jojojo hola! como te va? Cuando puedas pasa por mi blog, ya que les tengo muchas cosas buenas...cuidate!