Thursday, September 18, 2008

El Campo

am really enjoying the campo. Thus far it has been such a breath of fresh air.My family here is more than wonderful with me and the living conditions are higher than I expected. I have a toilet that flushes and sometimes a shower that flows!

My Dona has 2 adult daughters who live in little and unfinished houses behind hers. Between the two of them there are 3 kids, who for one reason or another seem to love me. It’s nice to be loved. I constantly hear “kati, Kati”. Though its nice to be loved, I sometimes wish it came with a bit more personal time.

The water situation is much different here, for whatever reason. I am not sure if it is the time of year or if we are just here at a good time and were in SD at a bad time, but unlike Santo Domingo, we have water every day. It seems to be abundant and its amazing what a difference it makes in all areas of life. Every thing from taking as many baths as you want, flushing the toilet, cooking, and drinking water

Our group has lost three people. We have gone from 11 to 8 volunteers. Each left for different reasons. The eight ofus are in good spirits though. We are all encouraged by the warmth and beauty of the campo. Our little visit to the beach on Sunday was also uplifting!

No comments: